The Grabber: New Moon in Cancer

Painting by Frederic Lord Leighton

New Moon in Cancer on July 18th. The Moon rules Cancer so it’s pumped up. New beginnings (or opportunities for new beginnings) are based on feelings.

Cancer is a cardinal sign. It initiates. It may not march forward like Aries, but it does need (rather intensely). And it pursues after a bit of internal wrangling.  What does this mean for you? The house in your chart with Cancer in it will be lit up. You can use this potent energy to kick start something that you really need.

Here’s the caveat: Cancer can get clingy if it relies on externals (people, food, situations) to sooth it.  If you have a gaping void inside and you need someone/something else to fill it, you’ll just activate the Shadow side of Cancer (desperately dependent). To use this energy successfully, you must be able to nurture yourself first.

Ask yourself how you’d feel if you didn’t get what you were looking for (in the area of your life/natal house that Cancer occupies):

• If your answer is “Disappointed. But I’d survive because I can provide X, Y or Z for myself” then you’re on the right track. You can safely pursue whatever you’re after without getting sucked into a whirlpool.
  • If your answer is “Devastated. My life is empty without X, Y or Z” then you need to shore up your internal resources. Figure out how you can provide for yourself, then focus on initiating ways to do this.

The New Moon will occur at 26 degrees Cancer. Those with planets between 25 to 26 degrees Aries, Libra, Capricorn and Cancer will be in the spotlight.

This entry was posted in Cancer, New Moon. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to The Grabber: New Moon in Cancer

1. Bernadette says:

I just realized that there is a complete absence of Cancer/4th house in my natal chart…

The one exception is that I am in the 3rd decan of Scorpio rising, which is ruled by moon/Cancer.

Any idea what this means for me during important cancer/moon related events? If it helps to know, my moon is in Taurus and my natal 4th house is in Aquarius. Thanks!

You would still look at the house in your chart that has Cancer in it, even if there’s no planets in that house. That’s the area of your life that the New Moon will trigger.

• Bernadette says:

Oh, ok… I think I finally get it! When I pull up the actual visual image of my natal chart and I look at the little numbers around the inner circle – the ones that ‘fall under’ the sign of cancer are 8 and 9.. Which makes sense based on life events right now. Thanks!

2. Rebecca says:

I’ve been terrified of this one for months. July 18th is my birthday, and I guess I’m going to lose something important, but I only have one important thing left to lose, and there is no way of improving any other aspect of my life. Could the planets really be so cruel?

Not sure why you would think you would lose something; New Moons are about new beginnings. It really depends what aspects the New Moon is making to your planets.

3. Tug says:

my 12th house…

New Moon in the 12th can go largely unnoticed or trigger intense dreams/unconscious reactions. Depends how tuned into your 12th you are.

4. John says:

If mars is in my 12th house Cancer at 0.01degrees is that whr I would look. My Moon is in my 2nd house w/Pluto.

Yes, you would focus on the 12th House (for this New Moon). The New/Full Moons have nothing to do with the position of your natal Moon, unless your natal Moon happens to be in the same sign that the New or Full Moon will be in.

5. CW says:

New moon in the 6th house.

6. John says:

We are all so fortunate to have such wonderful people with so much knowledge as yourselves.

7. *Melissa* says:

Nadia, is there a special meaning if the New Moon falls on one’s Sun/Moon midpoint? (10/11th house)

Excellent question. It could trigger a new relationship (or momentum in an existing relationship) but there would have to be supporting transits and progressions to back this up. By itself I don’t think it would do much.