The Sun and Mercury in Aquarius

Picture by http://ineedchemicalx.deviantart.com/

Picture by http://ineedchemicalx.deviantart.com/

The Sun moves into detached Aquarius on January 19th, putting more emphasis onto this sign. Mercury (communication and intellect ) is currently in Aquarius, so there’s potential for some real “Ah ha!” moments that are not blurred by emotions.

As the Sun moves through the signs, each area of your chart is lit up; it’s time to focus on what’s happening there. The Aquarius area of your chart is where you can step back and see what needs to be revolutionized. Even though Aquarius is Fixed and stubborn, it’s stubborn about not being boxed in. Sometimes that results in sudden breaks for freedom, but it can just as easily manifest as cool insistence on independence. Aquarius in your chart is where you can stand apart, do what works for you, and realize how you connect (or don’t connect) to the group.

Transiting Mercury is there to translate that energy into words and ideas. Today (January 17th) Mercury sextiles Uranus (Aquarius’s ruler) at 8 degrees Aries. There’s creative opportunity here, a chance for your ideas to break new ground. Pioneer thinking. Sextiles are quiet, so this may just be a whisper in the back of your mind, or a random word dropped by someone. What do you do? Don’t ignore it…it could lead to much more. From January 22nd to 24th, Mercury in Aquarius will trine Mars at 20 degrees Libra, blending independent ideas with cooperative (Libra) actions (Mars). This energy will be fabulous for launching fresh ideas to the group/public, or saying something new/unusual to someone you’re close to. Mars pushes Mercury, but the push is coming from a socially acceptable place; people will be receptive to what’s new.

But this is not about nose-thumbing rebellion. From January 23rd to January 25th, Mercury in Aquarius will also be squaring Saturn (limits) at 22 degrees Scorpio. There are going to be restrictions. Someone may try to shut you down, or there may be reasons why your exciting, new plan can’t quite get off the ground. Aquarius is innovative, and that’s how you’ll deal. If Plan A doesn’t work, try Plan X (the unexpected plan that no one else considered). Others will cooperate (Libra) as long as you show them how they’ll benefit. The Aquarian lone-wolf thing won’t work in your favour for these, few days.

Keep your feelings out of it, as best you can. This isn’t the time to get angry, resentful or brood about how unfair it is that things aren’t working out. Aquarius is the clear, sweet spot where you realize that not everyone is going to agree with you, (or even like you) and that’s just fine. You’ll have the trine from Mars in Libra to help you find at least one ally.

If you have planets/angles from 7-8 degrees Aries/Aquarius, or 17 to 23 degrees Aquarius, Scorpio, Leo, Taurus or Libra, you’ll feel Mercury’s influence most strongly. The Sun will be in Aquarius until February 18th.

This entry was posted in Aquarius, Libra, Mars, Mercury, Sun, Transits. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to The Sun and Mercury in Aquarius

Excellent! I think I noticed this energy last night when somehow, I sort of flipped my perspective to something equally true and much better. Literally, it was like a lightbulb moment. Because of that, I feel quite different today. I couldn’t do it when my emotions were being hit. :)

Both my friend and I are in the zone for this, which is good because Aquarius features in our natal charts and in the composite.

Just for my reference, and in case you’re interested! ;) in the zone are my natal neptune and mercury in scorpio 2H. Aquarius is my 4/5H.
    And my friend has progressed mars and sun in Aquarius 3H, natal uranus and AC in scorpio 12/1H, progressed moon in Leo 9H, natal moon in Taurus and DC 6/7H, natal Pluto and progressed MC in Libra. So he is feeling it more than I am again, and it looks significant. I’ve put this here because I come back and look at what I’ve written and consider it against my observations.

I have a question – if I look at the synastry of the above two charts, then he brings planets to the signs that are empty in mine. Does that mean I may feel these influences because he’s bringing them to my door, as it were?

• Kisses says:

oh, and my sun/moon midpoint in scorpio is also in the zone. I’m not sure I fully understand what it means or if it makes a difference?

And I forgot to say thank you. :)

Yes…the house person feels the influence of the planet person in synastry.

• Kisses says:

That’s interesting! I hadn’t thought of it like that before, that one person might bring these influences to the other. So that’s not just my friend in particular, it’s anyone, friends and family etc. !! :o So in my friend’s chart, it’s his relationship axis that’s triggered, then surprisingly, his emotions, and no escape from uranus and pluto.

I’m not really in a position to afford a chart reading, but also, part of me doesn’t want to know too much, otherwise anxiety or expectation kicks in. I shall wait and see! Thanks, Nadia. :)

Anyone’s planets that activate your houses are like a transit to your chart. Same transit, anytime you’re around them.

• Kisses says:

That’s absolutely amazing! :D

• Kisses says:

I had to look back at your posts where you said about a Plan X, as I find myself considering ideas that I had dismissed or not even thought of at the time you wrote this. So, in the zone are my natal neptune and mercury in scorpio 2H. Aquarius is my 4/5H and I think it has meant Plan Xs about home and family, as my Plan As got me nowhere. Strangely, the more I think about these Plan Xs, the more practical and sensible they seem. Not what I wanted, but may be ideal. Hope it all works out! Thanks again, Nadia. :)

2. megan says:

An Aquarius friend of mine posted a very Aquarian query on a social media site today: “Why do we put ourselves down because of the actions of others?” It’s a interesting – and detached – question, and a good one to ask with Mars in Libra andSun/Mercury in Aquarius! Aquarius falls in my 2nd house, which is empty. I suppose I ll be thinking about values/money? Nadia, if my 2nd house is empty and I have nothing within orb of the degrees of the signs you mentioned at the end of this post, is it not a terribly significant transit for me? I like Aquarius. Both my parents, my youngest son my fiancée and about 90% of the guys I ve ever dated before him have been aquarians. Haha.

Great example of an Aquarian question…detached question and probably detached from the answer as well. This may not be as significant a transit for you, but when more than one TR planet moves through any house, the affairs of that house are hi-lighted. So you can pay attention to any 2nd House issues in your life, and make changes in those areas if they feel stale. In other words, you can make it significant, if you choose to.

• megan says:

There’s always a choice :) I think I will choose to let some new air in to the second house and with Aquarius over head, maybe there will be more innovative changes than what I’ve.seen in a while. Thank you for your reply.

• mia says:

wow, you’re such an Aquarian magnet! I have an amazing aquarian friend I grew up with who’s just so easy to connect but somehow I’ve never dated an aquarian man.

3. crys says:

My Sun & Venus is @6 Aquarius, my Jupiter 16 Aquarius and my Mercury 22 Aquarius. Hopefully, this’ll bring something good.

4. marion says:

Question on rulership and exaltation. We know that Mars used to rule Scorpio the lower octave of its ruler Pluto. Similarly, Venus is exalted in Pisces the lower octave of its ruler Neptune.

So what about Mercury the lower octave of Uranus? Does mercury somehow like or have some connection to aquarius, by way of rulership or exaltation?

Thank you.

Yes, Mercury is considered to be the lower octave of Uranus…Uranus takes Mercury’s information and makes it abstract (details to concepts). It’s said that Mercury “likes” Aquarius, but I’ve found this only makes a significant difference in mundane astrology. Although technically, using a table of essential dignities, Mercury is not exalted in Aquarius, but it is the nocturnal ruler of its triplicity. Now I’m thinking I should write a post on this. Anyway, regarding transits, or in your natal chart, the exaltation or debilitation of a planet isn’t that noticeable. Mercury is debilitated in Pisces, but this combination can lead to beautiful, creative works. Just as someone having Mercury in Aquarius is not guaranteed to be a genius. And this transit of Mercury in Aquarius is no more powerful than Mercury’s transit of any other sign.

5. marion says:

Thank you for the link Nadia, though i dont know anything about nocturnal and day planets. I will really be looking forward to that post.

Natally i have lower and higher planets in hard aspects as follows.
    Mercury conjunct Uranus in Libra (4)
    Mars conjunct pluto in Libra (exact)
    Virgo Venus square Saggi Neptune (9 – yeah bit wide for square but still hard aspect)

I have been told, with the above, i wont have an ordinary life of everyday stuff. That i will be forced to take everything to a higher/deeper/abstract level. No wonder i am so deep into astrology of late….:)

6. CM says:

I can’t believe it is Aquarius season already. It’s my 12th house which is empty, but at the same time, it’ll square my Scorpio stellium so hopefully I can use that to shake some things up in my life. The detached perspective will be a welcome treat as we get ready to say goodbye to winter. Thanks for the heads up on these transits, Nadia!