I've received requests to write about what opposite signs have in common. So here we go...
Opposite signs share an axis, which describes a theme or common goal. The two signs are both striving for that goal, but they're coming at it from different directions. When dealing with an opposition in your natal chart, from a transit, or in relationships, the solution lies in figuring out what that goal is. Sometimes this means acknowledging the negative manifestations of the signs.
Some brief descriptions:
- Aries/Libra: getting started, putting yourself out there, primary relationships, competition, starting but not finishing
- Taurus/Scorpio: protection, survival, selecting the "right one", mortality, posession, tunnel vision
- Gemini/Sagittarius: communication, new ideas, multiple choices, glossing over important facts
- Cancer/Capricorn: tradition, habits based on the past/family, refusal to consider anything new
- Leo/Aquarius: standing out, special purpose, relationship to the group, looking down on others
- Virgo/Pisces: service, sacrifice, higher calling, healing, victim