There's a type of aspect that's emphasized in the sky right now. It's not as well known as the big five (conjunction, square, opposition, trine, sextile). Some astrologers don't even use it in their interpretations. And it is arguably the most challenging aspect to work with.
The inconjunct, or quincunx, occurs when two planets form a 150 degree angle. It connects planets in two signs (five signs apart) that have nothing in common. Hard aspects like the opposition and square involve signs that are both fixed, cardinal or mutable (modalities) so there's some commonality to work with. But the inconjunct connects signs of two completely different modalities. And different elements.
For example, right now we have five inconjuncts happening:
- Sun in Libra (Cardinal Air) inconjunct Chiron in Pisces (Mutable Water)
- Mars in Leo (Fixed Fire) inconjunct Chiron in Pisces (Mutable Water)
- Mars in Leo (Fixed Fire) inconjunct Pluto in Capricorn (Cardinal Earth)
- Jupiter in Taurus (Fixed Earth) inconjunct Venus in Libra (Cardinal Air)
- Mercury in Virgo (Mutable Earth) inconjunct Neptune in Aquarius (Fixed Air)
This is messy. How do you integrate these clashing energies? You don't. The key word with the inconjunct is "adjustment". Signs that use totally different modalities (outwardly focused, adaptable or stubborn) and elements (intellect, inspiration, emotion or physical reality) must adjust their energies to accommodate each other. This, as you can imagine, creates an enormous amount of tension.
Here's what this all means for the five inconjuncts in play right now:
- Relationship goals (Sun in Libra-outwardly focused intellect) must take into consideration disillusionment/disappointment/toxic illusions that are based in unhealed wounds (Chiron in Pisces-adaptable emotion)
- Pushing hard for your own recognition (Mars in Leo-stubborn inspiration) will trigger vulnerabilities (Chiron in Pisces-adaptable emotion)
- Insisting on having it your way (Mars in Leo-stubborn inspiration) will ignite power struggles with others (Pluto in Capricorn- outwardly focused reality)
- The desire to share and relate (Venus in Libra-outwardly focused intellect ) will conflict with the urge to expand self sufficiency (Jupiter in Taurus-stubborn reality)
- The need to pinpoint details (Mercury in Virgo-flexible reality) will be undercut by group ideals (Neptune in Aquarius-stubborn intellect)
It's a lot to wrap your mind around, I know. If you have planets or angles in any of the above signs you'll experience this as a sticking point that can't be pushed through.
Best advice? Do not push. Be willing to adjust your expectations, goals, ideas, whatever.