During the current Mercury and Mars retrogrades, I've received some questions on what to do if new opportunities come up. Conventional wisdom says not to start anything new. Some astrologers even caution against doing anything important. But let's face it; life continues to roll whether the planets are cooperating or not.
What's wrong with starting something during a retrograde period? The energy of the planet(s) is reversed. Once it goes direct, the risk is that whatever has started may reverse. For example, beginning a new relationship during Venus retrograde could mean that one partner may change their mind or reunite with their ex once Venus goes direct. Whatever begins during a retrograde may change course.
But sometimes a can't-miss opportunity presents itself. A juicy project or job materializes during Mars retrograde. The man or woman of your dreams comes along while Venus is reversed. Or you may have no choice but to sign some important documents during Mercury retrograde. I'll tell you this right now...if you wait until the planets are all perfectly aligned to make your move, you'll never get anywhere. Astrology is not about waiting for the perfect moment. That moment does not exist. Astrology is about looking at all the influences during a given time then deciding if the benefits outweigh the risks. Certain times are riskier and it's my job as an astrologer to let you know what these times are and how to handle them.
Things to consider during retrograde periods:
- What you're starting may not be brand new. Retrogrades reintroduce people and situations from the past and this is totally fine. That job or person is back in your life for a reason.
- If the situation is a first-timer, check out other planetary influences that may support what you're doing. This past week's Grand Earth Trine was a fine example of stabilizing energy that balanced out the Mars/Mercury retrograde. Note that I said "balanced out" not "canceled out". You can never avoid the impact of retrograde planets, but you can moderate them.
- Consider the planets that are retrograde; whatever they rule will be the areas that change once they go direct. A new job may not evaporate once Mars goes direct but your duties (actions-ruled by Mars) may change.
- Give your new project the greatest chance of success by making allowances for retrograde energy. Mercury retrograde means paying attention to details, double checking emails before you send them and reading the fine print before you sign. Mars retrograde means having a plan B and being prepared for delays.
- Were you born with a retrograde planet? My natal Mercury is retrograde and I've found that communication, electronics, etc. work quite well for me during Mercury retrograde periods. If you have Mars or Mercury retrograde, there's no guarantee that things will work flawlessly for you right now. But unlike everyone else, you're swimming with the current.
Having said all this, retrograde periods are not the optimum times to start something fresh. But if your options are limited or an opportunity presents itself, "No" should not be your default answer.