I discussed ways to use the Aces through 10s for timing in this post.
Court cards (Kings, Queens, Knights and Pages) can also be used for timing. There's a simple method and a detailed, precise method.
Let's start with the easy way:
- Kings indicate a situation (or person) that has reached full potential. There is little or no impetus for change.
- Queens indicate a person or situation that is attracting something or someone (specified by the suit). There is potential for change.
- Knights always indicate change and forward movement.
- Pages indicate the start of something. Full potential is yet to be reached.
You want to know when you will hear from X and you pull the Knight of Wands. X will probably call you (Knights equal forward movement) sooner rather than later (Wands indicate fast moving energy). That's assuming the Knight of Wands is not reversed (more on that in a future post). If you pull the King of Pentacles, X might call because he is responsible (Pentacles). But if the call means changing his current situation, he might not (examine the surrounding cards for more information). He's in charge and he's not rushing out to accommodate anyone.
You're wondering when you'll get a job and you pull the Queen of Wands. This indicates that you are attracting (Queen) creative (Wands) opportunities. You're already drawing something towards you so it's on its way. Pulling the Page of Swords could mean that you're still in the early stages (Pages) and have to do more research (Swords) before anything comes your way.
If you're looking for exact time frames, there is a system (established by Aleister Crowley) that assigns dates to the Kings, Queens and Knights (Pages have no dates assigned to them).
- King of Wands: July 12 to August 11
- Queen of Wands: March 11 to April 10
- Knight of Wands: November 13 to December 12
- King of Cups: October 13 to November 12
- Queen of Cups: June 11 to July 11
- Knight of Cups: February 9 to March 10
- King of Swords: January 10 to February 8
- Queen of Swords: September 12 to October 12
- Knight of Swords: May 11 to June 10
- King of Pentacles: April 11 to May 10
- Queen of Pentacles: December 13 to January 9
- Knight of Pentacles: August 12 to September 11
It's your call on which method to use. Play around and see which one gives you more accurate readings. I've had better results using the courts for less specific timing but some readers swear by Crowley's date correspondences.