Here we are at another Winter Solstice, as the Sun's Capricorn ingress (11:27 AM EST/8:27 AM PST) marks the shortest day. This year's solstice has some extra oomph, thanks to Saturn's Capricorn ingress.
As the holiday season ramps up, the glittery rush of gifting and socializing can overwhelm you, whether you're in the thick of it or watching from the sidelines. But this day is actually a turning point and time of cold, still contemplation. Some find it depressing (especially if this season is reminder of what you've lost or never had). Others try to ignore it completely.
But Saturn will not be ignored. He's here to confront you with issues around family, the past, traditions, age and what you've accomplished. Yes, Saturn in Capricorn is about accomplishment, which is an ugly word in some circles. Isn't there more to life than an artificially defined standard of success?
Of course there is. But at some point, you have to build, and it doesn't have to be artificial. Time (another Saturn theme) is relentless, and now is the time to to start strengthening something in your life. Accomplishments can range from monumental career achievements to more intimate milestones such as getting sober, getting out of bed or saying "no." I'm not joking about getting out of bed, btw - this is a major accomplishment if you're depressed or suffering from chronic pain. Your success may be inconsequential to outsiders, but a huge deal to you.
I should add that Saturn's "do the work" mantra is not an impenetrable shield; you might be working and slapping down boundaries and focusing like the ultimate Saturn fanboy, and you still get hit with something bad. Sometimes, it's bigger than you and you just can't prepare. But how you respond is within your control. And stepping forward (even a small step) when there are massive forces aligned against you, when you want to curl up and give up, is Saturn work.
Each Solstice and Equinox is a moment of intensified energy. There's a peak, and then a shift as the wheel turns. In this case, it's the peak of darkness and stillness, which gives you the opportunity to contemplate what lies ahead. This year, Saturn defines the question as he conjoins the Sun - what are you going to build/reduce/fortify?
What will you accomplish?
Here are the aspects the Capricorn Sun will make:
- Dec 21st, 2017: conjunct Saturn (0 deg)
- Dec 26th, 2017: conjunct Black Moon Lilith (5 deg)
- Jan 1st, 2018: Full Moon (11 deg Cancer)
- Jan 2nd, 2018: sextile Neptune (11 deg Pisces)
- Jan 5th, 2018: inconjunct the North Node (15 deg Leo)
- Jan 6th, 2018: inconjunct Ceres Rx (16 deg Leo)
- Jan 8th, 2018: sextile Jupiter (18 deg Scorpio)
- Jan 9th, 2018: conjunct Venus (18 deg)
- Jan 9th, 2018: conjunct Pluto (19 deg)
- Jan 10th, 2018: sextile Mars (19 deg Scorpio)
- Jan 14th, 2018: square Uranus (24 deg Aries)
- Jan 15th, 2018: sextile Chiron (25 deg Pisces)
- Jan 16th, 2018: New Moon (26 deg Capricorn)
- Jan 19th, 2018: Aquarius ingress
What grabbed my attention:
- Dec 26th conjunction to Lilith: the power of the dangerous woman/witch is illuminated, as are the consequences of the misuse of sexual power
- Jan 1st Cancer Full Moon: starting the year off with some parent/child dynamics
- Jan 9th conjunction to Venus/Pluto: spotlight on the power of what you want (relationships, money) and how that defines, represses or controls
Note that January 11th to January 16th will be prime Capricorn time, with Saturn, Mercury, Pluto the Sun and Venus all occupying this sign. Heavy? For sure. But also fantastic for getting your sh*t together and making something real.