Mercury enters Aries on March 5th, 11:34 PM PST/March 6th, 2:34 AM EST. Mars-ruled Aries is a Fire sign, and the first sign of the Zodiac. This is an appropriate transit for beginnings, courageous ideas and passionate speech.
Words and thoughts will be fast-moving and unscripted. Aries doesn't calculate - it's just "Go!" and we'll see what happens later. Great if you've been stuck in a rut or feeling bored. Some words may be blunt or angry, because Aries just wants to get the message across. Social niceties are not an issue. Fortunately, this sign is not about holding grudges or plotting revenge - any harsh words are likely to be in-the-moment reactions that quickly pass. But that doesn't mean harsh words won't be damaging - remain conscious of what you're saying, especially if the situation is volatile.
Venus will enter Aries a few hours later, and will be close to Mercury until it stations Rx. Words and attraction will be working hand in hand, which means you can easily verbalize what you want. But will you get it?
This transit features Mercury's first retrograde of the year. Mercury will station Rx on March 22nd and won't exit Aries until May 13th. This extended stay will give you ample opportunity to rethink any hasty plans or words. What you blurt out in a moment of enthusiasm or anger will be up for review and questioning once Mercury stations Rx. Delays, changes of opinion or contacts from the past are meant to increase your focus on one fact or issue.
Adding to this, Mercury will square Saturn in Capricorn a total of three times during this transit, and those squares will be key points of tension - rules, restrictions, fears or tradition will forcibly define your words and push you to focus on what's really important. The initial words will sound brave and inspiring, but so they have staying power? The downside of Aries can be the battle cry that sputters out if things get boring. Mercury retrograde and Saturn will ensure that the bold idea is tested and retested, and by the end of this transit, you'll know if it's for real. You'll also be confronted with the consequences of thoughtless words.
A Saturn square to Aries demands caution, but also persistence. Mercury in Aries remains courageous, and Saturn is not meant to trample all over your boldness. There may be a gutsy plan or speech that you want to implement, but you'll be confronted with challenges along the way. Saturn encourages slow, steady work, and Aries adds the desire to make it happen. Of the three squares, the Mercury Rx square to Saturn will be the time when you have to regroup and call on extra reserves of courage, while giving that plan another go.
Here are the aspects Mercury in Aries will make. Pay attention to the repeat aspects (bolded) because these messages will require extra attention.
- Mar 9th: trine Ceres RX (5 deg Leo)
- Mar 11th: square Saturn (8 deg Capricorn)
- Mar 16th: trine the North Node (14 deg Leo)
- Mar 16th: square Black Moon Lilith (14 deg Capricorn)
- Mar 19th: conjunct Venus (16 deg)
- Mar 22nd: stations Rx (16 deg)
- Mar 27th: square Black Moon Lilith (15 deg Capricorn)
- Mar 30th: trine the North Node (13 deg Leo)
- Apr 1st: conjunct the Sun (11 deg)
- Apr 4th: square Mars (9 deg Capricorn)
- Apr 5th: square Saturn Rx (9 deg Capricorn)
- Apr 9th: trine Ceres (6 deg Leo)
- Apr 9th: sextile Pallas (6 deg Gemini)
- Apr 15th: stations direct (4 deg)
- Apr 25th: square Saturn (9 deg Capricorn)
- Apr 26th: trine Ceres (6 deg Leo)
- Apr 27th: trine the North Node (10 deg Leo)
- May 5th: inconjunct Jupiter Rx (18 deg Scorpio)
- May 7th: square Pluto Rx (21 deg Capricorn)
- Mat 12th: square Mars (28 deg Capricorn)
- May 13th: conjunct Uranus (29 deg)
- May 13th: Taurus ingress
Key aspects that caught my attention:
- The March 19th conjunction to Venus suggests good news - what you want/love unites with what you're thinking/saying. But Mercury stations Rx three days later at this same degree, so there will be questions or changes of heart. There was a Mercury/Venus conjunction on March 4th in Pisces - same idea (words and wants united) but Pisces energy is about allowing/release while Aries makes it happen/initiates. If you noticed anything on March 4th, compare it to March 19th.
- The Apr 1st conjunction to the Sun is an inferior conjunction which acts as a new beginning in the Sun/Mercury cycle. It may connect to the previous Sun/Mercury conjunction on Feb 17th, 2018 (28 deg Aquarius). This can be a moment of clarity, as the Sun illuminates certain truths.
- All three of the Saturn squares are important, but the biggie will be the Apr 4th/5th square to Mars and Saturn while Mercury is Rx. Not only will you be reviewing/rethinking, you'll be challenged by limits (Saturn) and actions or competition (Mars). Mars is the ruler of Aries, so aggressive/argumentative energy will increase, along with Saturn's limits. This adds up to massive frustration and possibly some brutal words. Approach this one with care - use the excess heat to stoke your determination to deal with the obstacle, rather than becoming embroiled in a destructive war of words.
- The May 13th conjunction to Uranus takes places in the final degree of Aries, and a few hours later, Mercury enters Taurus. On May 15th, Uranus enters Taurus. Mercury plus Uranus is shocking words, a blast of clarity or an abrupt decision. Mercury's shift from Aries (new beginnings) to Taurus (making something of those new beginnings) will be given extra weight by Uranus' ingress into a new sign - watch for major revelations or surprising news about what you own, what you value, new ways to make money or handle your money.