Mars enters Aquarius on May 16th at 12:54 AM EDT. This is a significant transit for a couple of reasons.
First, Mars will square Uranus (newly entered into Taurus) on May 16th, adding a surge of energy to both transits. Mars/Uranus is unpredictable actions, accidents and sudden breakaways. The sprint, slap, leap or rupture. The crisis that results in a snap. Whether you initiate things, or things come at you, this energy is jagged - be cautious. The square will occur two more times, which means a particular issue may require your repeated kicks (or you could be the one getting kicked). Anything between 0 and 2 deg of the Fixed signs will feel this most strongly.
The abrupt shove will introduce Uranus' seven years of change in Taurus, and Mars' extended stay in Aquarius (due to his retrograde). And here is the second reason why this particular Mars transit is significant - Mars Rx in Aquarius intensifies specific actions so the move towards independence can happen (sometimes it takes extra effort to break away from the past). Or, Mars Rx can delay actions/progress if the impulse is poorly timed. Delays or intensification will depend on how Mars aspects your chart. Mars Rx means progress is put on hold, either way. You have to wait or redo. Progress happens when Mars stations direct.
In general, Mars in Aquarius is tense, rebellious and stubborn (Aquarius is a Fixed sign). Compromise is non-existent - it must happen, and it must happen your way or their way, no matter what. Great for innovation and (barring the Mars/Uranus square) liberation that requires patience.
Yes, Aquarius can be patient (or fixated) if there's a goal. Mars in Aquarius (especially Mars Rx) suggests breaking free of all limits no matter how long it takes and no matter what's at stake. Impulse with staying power, or fanaticism. While Aquarius is known to be a logical sign, when it gets riled up logic flies out the window. For example, if a limit is encountered, Mars in Aquarius will push and keep pushing, just because someone says "No."
Mars Rx will briefly reenter Capricorn, which suggests revisiting rules/traditions/structures to remind yourself what the previous focus was. This can help you regroup (especially helpful if you've lost track of a goal) and it's interesting that Mars direct occurs in this sign- you have to return to old rules/traditions so you can move on from them. 29 to 28 degrees of the Cardinal signs will feel this part of the retrograde.
Here are the aspects Mars will make. I've bolded the stations from Rx to direct, sign ingresses and repeat aspects (when the planet being aspected is in the same sign).
- May 16th: square Uranus (0 deg Taurus)
- May 20th: sextile Chiron (1 deg Aries)
- May 20th: inconjunct Venus (1 deg Cancer)
- May 23rd: trine the Sun (2 deg Gemini)
- May 29th: inconjunct Pallas (4 deg Cancer)
- June 1st: trine Mercury (5 deg Gemini)
- June 8th: conjunct the South Node (7 deg)
- June 16th: inconjunct Mercury (8 deg Cancer)
- June 21st : opposite Venus (9 deg Leo)
- June 26th: stations Rx (9 deg)
- June 30th: inconjunct the Sun (9 deg Cancer)
- July 5th: opposite Mercury (8 deg Leo)
- July 15th: inconjunct Ceres (7 deg Virgo)
- July 16th: inconjunct Venus (6 deg Virgo)
- July 16th: square Juno (6 deg Taurus)
- July 20th: conjunct the South Node (5 deg)
- July 21st: opposite Pallas (5 deg Leo)
- July 27th: opposite the Sun (4 deg Leo)
- August 1st: square Uranus (2 deg Taurus)
- August 3rd: sextile Chiron (2 deg Aries)
- August 7th: trine Venus (1 deg Libra)
- August 10th: conjunct Black Moon Lilith (0 deg)
- August 12th: Capricorn ingress
- August 21st: inconjunct the Sun (28 deg Leo)
- August 27th: stations direct (28 deg Capricorn)
- September 2nd: inconjunct Pallas (28 deg Leo)
- September 3rd: trine Ceres ( 28 deg Virgo)
- September 5th: inconjunct Mercury (29 deg Leo)
- September 8th: square Venus (29 deg Libra)
- September 10th: Aquarius ingress
- September 13th: sextile Chiron Rx (0 deg Aries)
- September 18th: square Uranus Rx (1 deg Taurus)
- September 23rd: trine Mercury (3 deg Libra)
- September 27th: conjunct the South Node (4 deg)
- September 27th: trine the Sun (4 deg Libra)
- October 1st: conjunct Black Moon Lilith (6 deg)
- October 10th: square Venus Rx (10 deg Scorpio)
- October 19th: square Mercury (14 deg Scorpio)
- November 9th: trine Venus Rx (26 deg Libra)
- November 10th: square Juno (27 deg Taurus)
- November 14th: inconjunct the North Node (28 deg Cancer)
- November 15th: sextile Uranus Rx (29 deg Aries)
- November 15th: Pisces ingress
- Three squares to Uranus (May 16th, August 1st and September 18th): the May 16th trigger will reoccur. The initial action/disruption will have aftershocks. Or, it may take more than one try to break free.
- Three conjunctions to the South Node (June 8th, July 20th, September 27th): repeat attempts to activate a karmic situation. Or, repeatedly dealing with something from the past in order to wrap it up.
- Two aspects to Venus Rx (The October 10th square and November 9th trine): intensified exploration of relationship/self-esteem issues is triggered by rebellious actions. The square is the challenge and the trine is the harmonious aftermath.
- Two conjunctions to Black Moon Lilith (August 10th and October 1st): the witch/dangerous woman/taboo sexual issue is powered up by highly individuated actions. This one has a powerful outsider vibe (BML is already an outsider, and this will be emphasized by Mars in Aquarius who runs against the grain). Also, it's notable when male energy unites with Lilith, since she makes many (traditional or repressed) men uncomfortable.