Mercury enters Cancer on June 12th (3:59 PM EDT). This is a brief transit (less than a month) but it's bound to ping some touchy subjects.
Cancer is the sign of needs, emotions and mother/child. When you add the planet of information and communication, words and feelings are blended. It's easier to empathize with what someone is saying and it's easier to take what they're saying personally (even if their remarks have nothing to do with you).
Words can be comforting or childish - watch for verbal hugs and/or tantrums. Pouting silence (Cancer shuts down when hurt) followed by a flood of impulsive, instinctive words. And tears. Cancer is Cardinal, which means forward-moving. So even if there is an initial withdrawal, the core impulse is to express and progress. Get those feelings out there.
This is the transit to talk about your needs, or listen to someone who needs to cry on your shoulder. There can be a confessional vibe to conversations. Talking/thinking about the past may also be emphasized.
Adjust Your Focus
Mercury's first aspect is an opposition to Vesta Rx in Capricorn (exact on June 12th). Vesta is about absolute focus. When she is Rx, that focus is intensified on one rule/tradition/commitment (Capricorn). This will be at odds with what's being said. Personal issues may distract you from the business at hand. Or, there could be a result that hi-lights the restrictions around this absolute focus.
Mercury will also make a harmonious sextile to Uranus in Taurus (June 13th) so here's a hint that a touch of flexibility can help you out. The changes that Uranus is stirring up in the Taurus area of your chart can be easily verbalized and may help you step back from what feels so personal. Note that Uranus trined Vesta on June 8th, so that focus is already changing - there are new traditions/rules and you have to adjust your vision accordingly.
Vesta Rx is exiting Capricorn and returning to Sagittarius on June 13th, so there's yet another theme of backing away from the rules to readjust your focus on the big picture or story (Sagittarius). June 8th was the trigger.
Mercury will also be squaring Chiron (newly into Aries) until June 13th. Expect conversations and thoughts to be messy and painful. Whether or not it's about you, there will be a key discussion or piece of info that hurts and it will probably remind you of the past. There will be no correct thing to say, so don't bother searching for the right words. The idea is not to make it better - this aspect is about looking at what hurts and why. Tears may be unavoidable, but sometimes a big, ugly cry is just what you need.
Of course, you can speak carefully because now you know that the vibe is touchy. But be prepared for messy discussions/thoughts. It's better to just say it rather than shutting down because you don't know what to say.
Here are the aspects Mercury in Cancer will make:
- June 12th: opposite Vesta Rx (0 deg Capricorn)
- June 13th: sextile Uranus (1 deg Taurus)
- June 13th: square Chiron ( 2 deg Aries)
- June 15th: opposite Saturn Rx (6 deg Capricorn)
- June 16th: inconjunct Mars (8 deg Aquarius)
- June 19th: trine Jupiter Rx (14 deg Scorpio)
- June 20th: trine Neptune Rx (16 deg Pisces)
- June 22nd: conjunct Pallas (18 deg Cancer)
- June 23rd: opposite Pluto Rx (20 deg Capricorn)
- June 26th: opposite Black Moon Lilith (25 deg Capricorn)
- June 26th: inconjunct Vesta (26 deg Sagittarius)
- June 28th: square Juno (28 deg Aries)
- June 29th: Leo ingress
- June 15th to 16th brings more ouch as the opposition to Saturn Rx signals a "No" (or a hard result) and the inconjunct to Mars suggests irritation, edgy comments or a disconnect between actions and thought.
- June 19th to 20th can make up for the above, with a lovely Grand Water Trine as Mercury trines Jupiter Rx and Neptune Rx. Words will flow and sound convincing, beautiful or soothing. Or, you can say nothing and wrap yourself in healing, dreamy thoughts. However, due to this aspect's closed circuit of energy, inertia is also a possibility. It may be easier to say nothing or go along with the beuatiful, unprovne prmoise.
- June 23rd's opposition to Pluto Rx means buried or manipulative energies will crank up the intensity of what's said or discovered. If you're not fully conscious of what's going on, someone else (or your unacknowledged impulses) will pull the strings. The dark truth is there and it will come out.